Sunday, January 27, 2013

leftover spaghetti put to good use... i hope...

We ordered an obscenely large amount of spaghetti from Fat Lorenzo's a couple nights ago, and despite our best efforts, we've stalled out in our attempt to finish it all in its current state.

I did a quick search for a recipe that would allow me to use ingredients I already had at home - thus saving me a trip to the grocery store in my yoga pants and a sweatshirt (and this snow... seriously, yuck...) but I decided that I'm probably going to have to make that trip eventually anyhow. We're about out of milk.

I love milk. Love it. Ask my mom, she had a 1970's style gas ration approach to my milk consumption. True.

So, back to the task at hand, I'll be using this recipe for "Penny's Leftover Spaghetti Pie" as my inspiration - although, the "inspiration" was mostly just so I knew what temperature and about how long I should be baking my spaghetti pie. I might make a few tweaks to the recipe to make it my own.

Anyhow, I'm off to the grocery store, so I'll pick up this post after I've returned home and started cooking.

-----------

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Alright, so as I speak (in the metaphorical sense, since I'm actually sitting on my counter poking out this post on my iPhone ), the leftover spaghetti pie is in the oven. Already 11 minutes into its baking time I'm starting to smell awesomeness.

So here was the process - and I'll warn you right now that I tend to take after my dad when it comes to cooking, a little of this, a pinch of that - so bearing that in mind, if you plan on making any of my recipes, please know that I did the best I could to get you as close to what I produced, but ALWAYS let your palate be your guide and taste what you're making (when you can... I don't recommend tasting dangerous things like raw eggs and such. Ick...).

Leftover Spaghetti Pie

2-3 c. leftover spaghetti
2 eggs
Half of a yellow bell pepper, diced
1 c. white mushrooms, sliced thick
8 oz. (2 c.) Shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. Grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. chili pepper flakes
Pinch of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, then add the garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder, chili flakes, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Whisk together to combine.
Fold in the spaghetti, bell pepper, mushrooms and half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.

Pour the mixture into a casserole dish (mine was a non-stick one, so I didn't grease it, use your best judgement). I would advise erring on the side of caution, just saying, eggs are ornery...

Top with the other half of the shredded mozzarella cheese and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

Dish is done when eggs have set (casserole will be firm, not overly squishy), and the cheese on top is lightly browned.
And as an editorial aside, this may be arguably the best part of any dish. EVER. Mmmmmmm crusty cheese...
And the glamour shots...



And most importantly, the verdict...

SUCCESS!!!

Jason approves - heartily - and it's already half eaten and I'm going in for more - no matter how much I'll probably regret it. Totally worth it...

Cheers!

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment